At the turn of the previous century, water from the recently completed Lake Biwa Canal was used to build a large constellation of garden villas around Kyoto’s Nanzen-ji Temple that still exists there today.
This is the Nanzen-ji Temple Neighborhood Garden Villa Cluster, a place where some of Japanese society’s most preeminent members-the politicians and businessmen who shaped modern Japan-once gathered together.
Come to Murin-an, the very first of these garden villas, to hear a special 40 minute lecture about them in English!
Presenting the lecture will be Michael Shapiro of the Heritage and Garden Artistry Division at Ueyakato Landscape, a longstanding Japanese garden landscape firm with over 170 years of history in the Nanzen-ji Temple neighborhood.
This is will be a fully and clearly explained lecture that even foreign visitors should find very easy to follow!
It will be sure to help you appreciate Japanese gardens and Kyoto even more deeply!
- Date: Test sessions held on May 21(Fri.) and June 22 (Tues.), 2021
- Time: 2:00-3:00 PM
- Reservations: Priority given to those with reservations (same-day registrations accepted only on dates when other reservations have already been received, same-day registration payments at reception window only)
- Cost: 3,000 yen/person
- Place: May 21 Western-style building, June 22 Main building
- Reservations: Number of people: Up to 10 people
- Lecturer: Michael Shapiro, Heritage and Garden Artistry Division, Ueyakato Landscape Co., Ltd.